PEOPLE HANDLING TRAINING
People Handing is specific area of manual handling where the loads that are moved are – as the name would suggest – people. People handling has specific hazards and risks associated with it and therefore requires specific training. Industries where this might be particularly applicable include health, aged and community care, but will also include areas such as child care and disability services. Some of the challenges associated with people handling include:
- Ensuring the safety of the person being moved
- Ensuring the safety of the person performing the movement
- Dealing with medical conditions such as Stroke or Parkinson’s Disease
- Maintaining skin integrity and other handling challenges
- Coping with resistant or aggressive clients and other communication challenges
- The physical size and frailty of the person being moved
These challenges require a specific and targeted approach to people handling.
Momentum Safety and Ergonomics runs people handling courses that are based on industry best practice, and extensive experience in both the health and aged care sectors. Our principal trainer is a physiotherapist and OHS consultant who has worked as a manual/people handling trainer for large tertiary hospitals, as well as for the aged and community care organisations.
We run two levels of People Handling Training. Both courses are run on the following simple principles;
- Understand and demonstrate core safe postures and movement
- Apply these skills to people handling situations. Learn specific techniques
In House Courses:
|Basic People Handling Training||People Handling Train the Trainer|
|Suitable for: All staff who perform people handling tasks||Suitable for: Staff member to train staff in people handling|
|Time: 2 hours||Time: 1 -2 days|
|Outcome: Able to perform manual and people handling tasks safely||Outcome: Able to teach manual handling and people handling tasks to workers.|
Please contact Michael Terry at Momentum Safety and Ergonomics for more information about these courses.